Thursday, February 17, 2011

Zaida's All Natural Birth

I meant to post this much earlier, but I still haven’t been able to really sit down at the computer and put it together! I finally stole a few minutes, so here you go.

Almost immediately after finding out we were pregnant, I began my research into pregnancy, labor and all things related. I very quickly realized that I wanted a natural birth. Was I a little nervous at the thought of a natural birth? Sure. As a female, you grow up hearing about how giving birth is pretty much the worst thing you could ever experience and nothing will prepare you for the pain. But, I didn’t let those little nagging voices deter me, and we set off on a path to prepare for a natural childbirth. We read books, we took classes, and most of all, I spent so much time preparing my mind and body. I faced the fact that it would hurt, but I became okay with it, and I learned skills to move through the pain, instead of fighting it.

I am not going to lie – it did hurt. On top of the fact that Zaida was so large, she was also turned sideways, giving me awful back labor. But was it the worst thing I could ever imagine in the world? Not at all. And after it was all over, the high of what I had accomplished made everything I’d felt only moments before just melt away. I have no doubt in my mind that I would do it all over again.

I don’t think I could have done it all without a wonderful support crew. First and foremost, Brian, who was amazingly supportive throughout the entire pregnancy and the birth. I couldn’t have done anything without him! I also wanted to mention the other people I have to thank for an amazing birthing experience:

The whole staff at the Allen Birthing Center; they are truly amazing. It was wonderful to birth at a place that you know you won’t have to fight for what you want, and where you are surrounded by love and support.
Our Doula – Sarah Greenman. She has the perfect zen personality that balanced us out.
Linda Worzer with Natural Beginnings birth classes. The classes were both helpful and fun, and I highly recommend them.
And, although not immediately related to the birth itself – A big thank you to Dr. Erin Stark Calaway for her chiropractic magic that relieved me of some serious late pregnancy pains.

Sarah, our Doula, also helped us out by capturing our birth in photo. For the most part, the photos are private (as you’d expect), but I wanted to share a few. Most of these photos taken by Sarah, with some by Brian and myself.



















Leslie, Amy and Kristen at the birthing center.


Have a fabulous upcoming weekend!

2 comments:

Samantha Nandez February 17, 2011 at 9:56 AM  

I love how you described the whole experience. The photos are wonderful and it's interesting to read about natural birth at home.

Much love to your family!

Gail February 18, 2011 at 11:24 AM  

You're incredible Brandi! I loved hearing about your experience.

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP